Overview


Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lemon Zesters

Does anyone else LOVE The World Famous Paradise Bakery like I do?

paradise bakery

Recently, I had a layover at the Denver airport where I passed the time by reading my Kindle, watching people scurry to their gates, and playing Mahjong. When that got boring (4 hour layover!) I meandered thru the airport searching for something new. Then I discovered

P A R A D I S EBAKERY.

The baker told me their Lemon Zesters have been a long time favorite, and after eating one, I knew why. If you love lemon flavored goodies this cookie’s for you!  When I was young, at least one box of Lemon Coolers was a necessity for a weekend camping trip and these cookies are almost as intoxicating!

Needless to say, the Zesters recipe is not published so I found a “close second.” I adapted their published sugar cookie recipe and it tastes very close to the real deal!

IMG_8948 

Here’s the recipe I used.

Ingredients

    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • 2 cups shortening
    • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 large egg, beaten
    • 3 1/3 cups CAKE flour
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • granulated sugar for rolling, powdered sugar for decorating
    • FOR LEMON ZESTERS: add 2 teaspoon lemon extract and 1 tablespoon lemon zest

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°.

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and shortening using an electric mixer.

3. Mix on slow speed 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl with a spatula.

4. Increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes.

5. Slowly add vanilla (lemon and zest if making Zesters) and beaten egg while mixing.

6. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing on slow speed until just blended. Do not over mix.

7. Scoop with an ice-cream scoop and roll in granulated sugar.

8. Place directly on cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with palm of hand.

9. Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes. Cookies are done when small cracks appear and are pale golden. Ideally, the edges do not brown

10. After cooling, dust liberally with powdered sugar.

IMG_8942

Come on over and we’ll enjoy some with a tall glass of sweet tea!

~YUMALICIOUS~

This week’s rainy days FORCED me to read blogs and read blogs and read more blogs. In doing so, I found some wonderful new adventures to follow and gained some new Bloggyland friends.

Welcome New Followers!

Josette - my grama's soul

Jim and Sandie - Where Are The Dixons Today

Ain't For City Gals

Joycee - Granny Mountain

Ellie Great - Blogger (Profile)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who has the answer???

I’d like to post a map of our travels like some of you do but I’m not sure what states to include. Do you have to spend the night in the state to count it, or just pass thru? My map will be WAY more colorful if you choose the latter…

Blessings Y’all, Kathy

10 comments:

FD5, Retired said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. BTW, we have to spend the night to add it to our map.

Stay Safe

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe Kathy, that cookie sure looks good! I am going to pass this one on to a couple of my loved ones and hope for the best.

John
relaxedrush.blogspot.com
connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

Dennis and Donna said...

Yummy!!Thanks for that recipe..and have fune!

Jim and Sandie said...

Those cookies look incredible. As far as the map - it's all up to you. Some people put the state on if they drive through it, others - if they spend the night there. We don't put a state on our map (on the RV)unless we have actually spent time in that state sight seeing. So however, you want to do is just fine.

Happytrails said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'll give those a try this week.
We always put the state on the map if we spent some time there.

The Solla-Mates said...

mmm...sounds decadent!! i'm a new follower to your blog and wanted to introduce myself. love your blog name too, adorable!

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi Kathy.....first of all I'm glad we found each other. Second...I love Paradise Bakery...altho...I have not had the cookies you are describing. I might try this recipe though...it will be the first time I have baked anything in this motorhome oven so I hope the thing doesn't explode!! LOL LOL

Happy trails,

Jo

Sue Malone said...

Well, Kathy, on the states issue, there are different schools of thought. Some say you have to spend the night. Some say you just have to "touch" it. We figure if we touch it, it goes on the map. After all, we may be driving through for more than a whole day so it should count. Although once we drove about 40 miles out of our way to "touch" a state we would otherwise have missed. No rules, you know. Make them up as you go!

Sue and Doug said...

those cookies look delicious..lemony good!!!

Kathy said...

It's great to have you Solla-Mates! Thanks for joining this crazy blog!

Jo, I'm glad we found each other too! Let me know if you blew up the oven!!


Also, thanks for the advice everyone!